Monday, February 20, 2012

Cycling: Another Century Ride to Lavasa


Kalakrai Rock-climbing event was canceled at the last moment on Saturday afternoon, and suddenly I had a half wasted wintery weekend I didn't know how to utilize. I roamed around in Pune that evening on my cycle, and when I didn't have any fatigue even after 20-25kms riding, by the nightfall I had decided to go again on a century ride to Lavasa on Sunday morning.

Same old ride, with one stark difference - no stress on body during any point in time. I was surprised myself. Even during the dreaded stretch between Lavasa-4 and Lavasa-3 milestones, my heartbeat was absolutely normal - never even felt there was a heart beating inside my chest, breathing was as normal as when I would be walking on the FC road - no pressure on the lungs at all, and no cramps in the leg-muscles either. I didn't even realise when I passed the Lavasa-3 milestone, which otherwise I used to keep looking for as an indication of partial-end-to-the-misery. Overall I took 50mins for the full climb of 7kms, which gains almost 450mtrs in altitude.

Another feather in the cap was that I had taken a 12km detour in the morning before heading towards Lavasa, to complete a century by the time I reach home. And after leaving home, I hadn't stopped anywhere before the Lavasa top. That meant almost 56kms of ride, including the torturous final climb of Lavasa, was absolutely non-stop. This was a first.

Same story while coming back - from Lavasa to home non-stop. This was much better show than last time.

So all in all, only a single break during a century ride - which included 2 major ghat climbs (Mutha ghat and ofcourse Lavasa) while going and 2 major ones while coming back (Mutha again, and Pirangut).

Here are some important stats:

RouteDistanceTime
Home to Lavasa with detour~56kms3 hrs 10 mins
Final Lavasa Climb~7kms (altititude gain: 437mtrs)~50 mins
Lavasa to home return~44kms2 hrs 23 mins
Total century ride100.7kms5 hrs 33 mins (excluding the break

Overall average pace for the full 100km ride was 18.1kmph, which is quite an improvement over last time's 16.62kmph.

Details stats for this ride: on Sports-tracker

No comments: