Sunday, March 15, 2009

iTunes for Ubuntu

Since long I have been finding a replacement for iTunes on Ubuntu, but in vain. I don't want to use CrossOver Office as it's proprietary, and don't want to install the bloated Windows Vista in VirtualBox and waste many GBs of storage just for the sake of one iTunes. Since making the switch to Ubuntu/Kubuntu twins, I haven't missed Windows at all. In fact, now I am realising what I was missing with OEM windows running on my Dell laptop. Nowadays, I feel disgusted even at the thought of going back and installing Windows.

The next thing on my agenda is of-course trying to get iTunes running through Wine, though, I have read pretty many comments about problems in this approach. I am not very positive about it.

That leaves me with the thought - why doesn't Apple come out with an iTunes version for ubuntu (or linux in general)? Especially when Ubuntu has gone mainstream with a bang, with many hardware manufactures (like Dell) shipping their units with Ubuntu. Though I don't know exact figure of ubuntu users, given the life in the ubuntu community and forums, it's easy to guess that there is a sizeable amount in there.

If you are an ubuntu user, and you think on the similar lines, I request you to sign the iTunes for Ubuntu Petition.

There are currently 2000 odd signatures there. It doesn't take time to sign the petition. Every sign will help, so please sign the petition.


No comments: